FOSTER CARE AGREEMENT
All animals entering foster care must have gone through HSSA protocols prior to leaving the HSSA
- Any animal(s) fostered by me will be kept in an approved HSSA facility. I understand that any animal(s) I foster are the property of the HSSA, and I agree to turn it/them over to the HSSA immediately upon request. I agree to bring any animal(s) fostered by me to the shelter for exams, vaccinations, weight checks, or other reason deemed necessary by HSSA at a mutually agreed upon date and/or time.
- I agree to inform HSSA if I will be away and/or unable to care for the animal(s) fostered by me. This includes, but is not limited to, illness, hospital stays, vacations, and business trips. HSSA will find a temporary foster home for the animal(s) or may house the animal(s) in the clinic during this time.
- I agree to a premises check upon the request of the HSSA which can include a visual inspection of the living quarters of all HSSA foster animals in that environment and testing for transmissible disease.
- I understand that I am responsible for adhering to all HSSA standards of care and applicable local and state laws dealing with animal welfare. Any animal(s) fostered by me will be fed, watered and exercised appropriately. I agree to provide an adequate and nutritious diet, including any necessary supplements, as recommended by the HSSA. I also agree to abide by any instructions given by the HSSA regarding the feeding of specific brands or types of supplemental food and/or nutritional supplements to my foster animals. Although the HSSA will make every attempt to furnish food and/or litter for those foster care volunteers who are unable to afford these supplies on their own, I understand that the availability of these supplies is based on donations from the public and limited to stock on hand. The HSSA cannot and does not guarantee to be able to provide free food, litter or supplies for my foster animals.
- I will not allow any dogs or puppies to have any unsupervised off-leash time. I will provide a kennel, crate and/or securely fenced yard for their safety. I will not allow foster cats or kittens to go outside at anytime except to transport them to and from the shelter or to a veterinarian, if needed. I agree to transport any foster cats, kittens, puppies and small dogs in a sturdy carrier. I agree to transport any foster animal(s) in an enclosed vehicle only, and I will not allow them to ride in the bed of a pickup or a convertible.
- I agree that dogs and puppies will not be kept outside unless otherwise discussed and approved by the Foster Care Administrator.
- I understand that the HSSA will take every precaution to ensure that any animal(s) I foster are reasonably healthy and that any known health problems will be disclosed to me prior to my taking the animal into my home, but the HSSA cannot be held responsible for any unforeseen health problem that may develop after the animal(s) is/are in my care. I agree to inform the HSSA immediately of any health problems with any foster animal in my care. I understand that the HSSA may require me to return my foster animal(s) to the shelter to assess or treat any health problem, at its discretion. If I choose to treat the animal(s) at a veterinarian of my choice, I understand that I will assume full responsibility for payment of the vet bill, and that the HSSA will be unable to reimburse me for any such payment.
- I agree to provide adequate, positive socialization for any animal(s) fostered by me to help ensure their temperament will be as sound as possible. I also agree, when requested, to give a progress report to the HSSA. I agree to bring my foster animal(s) in to the shelter for any required vaccinations, de-worming, or other medication prescribed and provided by the HSSA at no cost to me. When the foster period is over, I will call the HSSA to return the animal(s), and will do so at the agreed upon time.
- I agree to keep my foster animal(s) separate from my own pets, and that the possibility of foster animals fighting, injuring, or spreading illness to my own pets does exist. I agree that I will keep my own pet up to date on vaccines and de-wormers according to my own veterinarian, while I am fostering any animal(s) for the HSSA. I understand that if I choose to allow my foster animal(s) and my own pet(s) to have access to each other, I do so at my own risk, and will not hold the HSSA liable for any illness or injury that may occur to my own pet(s).
- I agree to keep HSSA animals safe from harm and illness as a result of contact with resident pets.
- I understand the potential for contagious illness is high in animals. Therefore, I agree I will not foster more than one litter at one time. I agree not to mix animals from more than one litter unless approved by the HSSA. I also agree not to foster animals from any other organization while I am fostering for the HSSA, unless granted specific approval by the HSSA.
- I assume responsibility for any events that occur in connection with my fostering of an animal for the HSSA. I understand the possibility of my children or others being bitten, scratched, or contracting disease does exist. I agree to be responsible for my children and anyone else handling any animal(s) fostered by me in a safe and hygienic manner, and will not hold the HSSA responsible for any injuries that may result from my failure to do so. I agree to notify the HSSA representative immediately of any bites that break the skin that occur to any person or animal while any foster animal is in my care.
- Any animal fostered by me is to be adopted to a permanent home only under the supervision of the HSSA, to an adopter approved by the HSSA. All foster animals must be returned to the HSSA for sterilization and completion of adoption paperwork prior to permanent adoption. I understand that if I find a suitable home for any animal that I am fostering, all of the above conditions must apply, and that the adopter must pay the adoption fee.
- If I or any member of my immediate household chooses to adopt an animal(s) fostered by me, I agree to abide by all conditions of adoptions. I also understand that said animal(s) must first be returned to the shelter for sterilization surgery, adoption paperwork must be completed, and any applicable fees paid.