Title: Animal Care Technician III
Reports to:Animal Care Supervisor, Admissions Supervisor, Director of Shelter Operations, Animal Care Veterinarian
Salary Level: 3 (non-exempt)
Under limited supervision, provide constant humane care and handling of animals in the Admissions and Animal Care departments; perform dog and cat exams, testing, medicating and vet boarding of animals being hospitalized and treated at HSSA. The Animal Care Tech III is responsible for the opening and closing duties of the Admissions lobby and Adoptions Lobby and can take the lead with End of Life Services. The Animal Care Tech III must be able to perform all of the duties of an Animal Care Tech and Adoption Counselor along with having the ability to cover for the Lead Shelter Medical Technician and Critical Care Technician.
- Perform exams on in-coming and in-house animals to evaluate health and temperament.
- Administer daily medications, patient care, and other necessary treatments to shelter animals, animals in the Feline and Canine Second Chance Units, foster animals on site, or other areas of the shelter as needed.
- Accurately fill and label medications and treatment sheet. Document treatments for shelter animals accurately and label prescriptions correctly.
- Perform End of Life Services.
- Handle the more difficult client situations before referring to a supervisor or under direction of a Supervisor.
- Assist the veterinarians with scheduled daily rounds as needed through the day.
- Able to perform all responsibilities in all other areas of shelter and hospital operations and Foster Care as time and workload allow. Keeps veterinarians apprised of any patient updates.
- Weighs, takes vitals, or restrains animals, or performs other tasks as requested by veterinarian.
- Maintain and organize shelter records.
- May assist in coordinating and transporting animals to off-site veterinary appointments as necessary.
- Request records from veterinary clinics on new intakes and forward to veterinarian.
- Draw blood, snap tests or retrieve other samples and submit to Medical Team for diagnostic purposes as directed by the veterinarian.
- Train and address concerns with animal care staff on animal health protocols
- Assists in animal care and handling during emergencies
- Feed, clean and care for animals, keep animal quarters clean and maintain proper animal identification throughout the day.
- Provide basic animal care advice and make referrals as appropriate.
- Works alongside DOC Crew and DOC Crew Lead to ensure proper dog and cat cleaning procedures.
- May step in to supervise DOC Crew on an as needed basis.
- Maintain all work areas, disinfect, stock and keep secure
- Maintain all safety and OSHA standards at all times.
- May drive company vehicle in performance of company business.
- Perform customer service to the standards set forth in HSSA’s employee manual.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions or qualifications associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, for example, emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological breakdowns in departments.
Please email your resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org.