Title: Veterinary Assistant – Surgery & Wellness (formerly Clinic Technician)- Full-Time
Reports to: Clinic Director
Salary Level: 4 (non-exempt) $12.50/hr-$16.00-/hr
With direction, assists in all practices and procedures of surgical support including patient check-in, patient prep, monitoring patient during surgery, recovery of patient after surgery and patient discharge at the end of the surgical day. Assists or performs laboratory tests, vaccinations, and treatments of animals as directed by the veterinarian or CVT. Assists with community vaccination clinics and wellness clinic. Cleans instruments and wraps surgical packs. Maintains the highest standards of record keeping, facility cleanliness, sanitary conditions and safety standards. Provides constant humane care and handling of the animals. Answers animal related questions, especially those instructions related to procedures performed at the HSSA clinic. Utilizes care to develop cooperative and helpful relationship with other employees and do other work as required. Assists in the training of new employees.
- Performs check-in of public surgical patients answering any questions clients might have during the surgical admission process.
- Receives and checks-in shelter animals scheduled for surgery.
- Checks animals for illness, infestations, injuries or abnormalities, and performs diagnostic tests as directed by the veterinarians.
- Maintains proper animal identification.
- Performs pre-surgical duties on animals selected for surgery including the pre-med of surgical patients under the supervision of the CVT or Veterinarian.
- Performs prepping of surgical patients including induction and intubation, monitors patients under anesthesia and recovers surgical patients.
- Provides the veterinarian with equipment, routine and special surgical instruments, surgical packs, and lab and clinic
- Assists the veterinarian when needed and performs post-surgical duties to ensure proper recovery of the animals.
- Participates in euthanasia and removal of animals if required.
- Properly maintains all medical and surgical records as well as daily usage of narcotics and other controlled substances in the appropriate forms under the supervision of the CVT or Veterinarian.
- Prepares and maintains accurate medical records, clinic and animal files, anesthesia logs and vaccination records.
- Inoculates, medicates, feeds, and cares for animals as indicated by the veterinarian.
- Meets and talks with clients during the surgical release process, giving accurate and understandable instructions for post-surgical care and treatments.
- Keeps animal cages clean and sanitized, and cleans and maintains clinic facilities and equipment.
- Participates in vaccine clinics with preparation of vaccines, obtaining weight, TPR of animal and providing animal restraint during the vaccination process.
- Dispenses prescribed medications.
- Performs surgical related duties of cleaning instruments and wrapping packs
- Stocks clinic supplies and performs minor maintenance tasks on all surgical equipment and refers any problems appropriately.
- May perform any of the above duties in an off-site capacity, such as a remote vaccination facility.
- Maintains all safety standards at all times.
- May train and supervise volunteers for clinic functions.
- Perform customer service to the standards set forth in HSSA’s employee manual.
- May drive company vehicle in performance of company business.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions or qualifications associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, for example, emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological breakdowns in departments.
Please email your resume and application to email@example.com.