Title: Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT)
Reports to: Clinic Director (CD)
Salary Level: 5 (non-exempt)
Responsible for all aspects of surgical prep, venipuncture, administering vaccinations, testing for infectious disease, laboratory work and treatments of animals as indicated by the veterinarian for HSSA’s Spay/Neuter Clinic. Enters data that builds medical records, and prepares end of day paperwork including preparing medications. Assists veterinarians in recheck exams. Releases animals at the end of the surgical day. Maintains the highest standards of record keeping, facility cleanliness, sanitary conditions and safety standards. Provides constant humane care and handling of the animals. Answers animal related questions over the telephone and in person, especially those instructions related to procedures performed at the HSSA clinic. Utilizes care to develop cooperative and helpful relationship with other employees and do other work as required. Assists in the training of new employees and volunteers.
- Assists with all aspects of high volume spay/neuter surgeries.
- Assists with vaccination clinics.
- Assists veterinarian with public/owned animal exams.
- Triages emergency issues.
- Prepares and maintains accurate medical records, clinic and animal files, as well as pharmaceutical logs and vaccinations records.
- Performs all pre-and post-surgical duties as directed by the veterinarian.
- Monitor patients under anesthesia.
- Performs digital radiology
- Checks animals for illness, infestations, injuries or abnormalities, and performs diagnostic tests as directed by the veterinarian and in accordance with clinic/shelter medical protocols.
- Inoculates, medicates, feeds, and cares for animals as indicated by the veterinarian.
- Maintains proper animal identification.
- Keeps animal cages clean and sanitized, and cleans and maintains clinic facilities and equipment.
- Participates in euthanasia and disposal of animals if required.
- Schedules Clinic Technicians’ daily duties
- Schedules lunch breaks to ensure the flow of surgery is not disrupted
- Supervises Clinic Technicians to ensure that all daily tasks are being properly completed (to include various duties and cleaning assignments).
- Meets and talks with clients during admission, recheck exams, vaccination clinics, and surgical release, giving accurate and understandable instructions for post-surgical care and treatments.
- Furnish information concerning the work of the clinic (and shelter if applicable); provide basic animal care advice and make referrals as appropriate.
- Provides the veterinarian with equipment, routine and special surgical instruments, surgical packs, and lab and clinic material.
- Receives animals scheduled for surgery
- Maintains clinic records and prepares reports as required.
- Dispenses prescribed medications.
- Stocks clinic supplies and performs minor maintenance tasks on all surgical equipment and refers any problems appropriately.
- May perform any of the above duties in an off-site capacity, such as a remote vaccination facility.
- Maintains all safety standards at all times.
- May train and supervise volunteers for clinic functions.
- Perform customer service to the standards set forth in HSSA’s employee manual.
- May drive company vehicle in performance of company business.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions or qualifications associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, for example, emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological breakdowns in departments.
Please email your resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org.